In keeping with my dedication to further the betterment of the German Shepherd Dog
Breed, I HEREWITH PLEDGE TO MAINTAIN THE FOLLOWING PRACTICES:
1. To maintain the best possible standards of health and care in my kennels.
2. To refuse to sell to or recommend unethical breeders and unethical dog wholesalers
or retailers, not to sell to any buyer where I have reason to believe that the puppy or dog will not be properly
3. To keep and pass on to the buyers of puppies or adult dogs accurate health,
breeding registration and pedigree records. Papers may be withheld or breeder's rights retained only by mutual
4. To clearly state to the buyer of a puppy or adult dog, whether sale is of
a show, showable or pet (as designated by Bill of Sale referred to in section 7) or other type.
5. To urge all buyers to have a puppy or adult dog, sold by me, examined by
a licensed veterinarian within 24 hours of receipt. Said examination to be paid for by the buyer as previously
6. To deliver or ship only puppies or adult dogs of sound health and temperament.
Where the buyer or his authorized representative did not personally see and chose the puppy or adult dog shipped
by me, a period of 24 hours is granted to advise of the final decision and an additional 24 hours is provided if
the dog is to be returned.
7. To use a sales contract or written agreement to cover any sale or purchase
involving a dog. The Sales Contract offered by the GSDCA, Inc., which covers guarantees and agreements, or
one similar to it, must be used with a signed copy to each party involved. A 4 generation pedigree must be given
by the seller to the buyer at the time of sale. The buyer should be informed that a certified pedigree may be obtained
from the AKC for a fee.
8. To refuse stud service to any bitch I consider in poor health. At
the time of breeding an exchange of pedigrees must be made.
9. To allow one repeat stud service where a bitch has failed to conceive after
being bred to one of my studs. If the stud is still in good health and available, and at such time and place
as mutually agreed by the owner of the bitch and myself.
NOTE: Only GSDCA, INC. members in good standing may be official signers
of the Breeder's Code.
PET: Companion animal,
purebred and AKC register able, that is sold as a pet with no warranty that the dog will be show quality or breedable
SHOWABLE: A puppy or adult
that goes beyond and above the definition of a pet dog. This animal must be free of all disqualifying faults.
This dog is in no way guaranteed to win in the show ring unless this is agreed to in writing in the contract at
the time of execution. It is understood that with proper care on the part of the buyer, in due time, the
dog should be of acceptable temperament and structure and should embody the basic standard of the Breed.
SHOW: An animal that has
all the qualifications of showable, plus being one that, with proper training, nutrition and proper handling, can
and should win in the conformation ring. If there are any further guarantees, they must be in writing.